home » community » discussion forums

COMMUNITY UPDATE: Please note that as of January 1, 2014 at 1 a.m. EST these forums will no longer be supported. We encourage you to start saving any of the content you would like to keep on your personal device(s). If you have questions regarding our decision to discontinue the forums please see our FAQ

crafts & hobbies
The forum has been marked as read.
The topic has been marked as read.
  «   Page 1 of 1   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
June CHAIR  Actions...
Posted: by catsknit on Tue. 3 Jul., 2012 at 2:06:45 PM

Okay, we are a bit late, but we should still post our Crafts and Hobbies Accomplished Insider's Report!!

What did you start, finish, work on or think about in the month of June??

Rule Britannia!  Britannia Rules the Waves . . . . .

catsknit
   Reply  Top
Setting a bad example here  Actions...
Posted: by catsknit on Tue. 3 Jul., 2012 at 2:17:44 PM
In reply to: catsknit "June CHAIR"

May and June are very busy months for me, both with family and work, so I don't do much crafting.

I am halfway through my purple linen cowl, which will be more of a necklace (ie decorative) than warm cowl.  I bought the yarn at the Purple Purl's booth at the Knitter's Frolic in Toronto at the end of April after trying on their sample.   I cast on 210 stitches, knitted a few rows, didn't like what I saw, unpicked and started over.  Casting on 210 stitches, and joining in a loop is tricky, and requires concentration (ie no one else in the room, lol) so it took me some time to accomplish this, lol.  Between starting once, trying to repair it, frogging it and starting all over again--no wonder I have nothing else to report!!

The cowl is made from two skeins of the linen yarn, and I finished the first skein last night, and wound the second one ready to join.  If you want and idea of the finished cowl, look at Pumpkinbelle's Grey Loop.  Don't follow her pattern--she says there is a huge hole at the join if you do, and the pattern is not corrected.  However, it provides a guideline and then you can make up your own lace pattern as long as you maintain the number of stitches. 

Rule Britannia!  Britannia Rules the Waves . . . . .

catsknit
   Reply  Top
Wellllll  Actions...
Posted: by wilnita on Tue. 3 Jul., 2012 at 2:43:31 PM
In reply to: catsknit "Setting a bad example here"
Finished DGGDs knitted top finally
 Knitted a fun fur teddy bear 
and  started on a blue one nowSmiley
 yup thats it for me..wilnita

wilnita
   Reply  Top
the cowl  Actions...
Posted: by Koda on Tue. 3 Jul., 2012 at 9:41:57 PM
In reply to: catsknit "Setting a bad example here"
looks very pretty, post a photo when you finally get yours done. I know what you mean about concentrating, my husband always interrupts me when I'm counting Tongue.

I'm almost done my Textured Throw, at the point of weaving in the ends & stitching the border. I've been taking a break, it was a large project & kind of tired of it. I may pick it up again tomorrow, since it needs to get done soon. 

In the meantime I crocheted a few dishcloths because those are no brainer projects, and my daughter stole a few last time she was here. Even though she has taken up crochet, with two little ones it's hard to find the time. 

Attention is the rarest and purest form of generosity. — Simone Weil

Koda
   Reply  Top
Settling in after moving-does that count  Actions...
Posted: by jjaycee on Tue. 3 Jul., 2012 at 2:40:15 PM

Involves lots of picture arranging and decorating.

Also started another crocheted blanket for a Xmas gift.  It's granny squares so very portable-the type of thing I like to have on the go in the summer.

I did this for another Grand daughter-it is the "Denim Colours" afghan on the Favorite Crafts site.  I had trouble getting the extra "denim" on that one.  This time I am using a mossy green, black and white.  Looks good so far.

jjaycee
   Reply  Top
If my memory serves me right......  Actions...
Posted: by fabgal on Tue. 3 Jul., 2012 at 8:16:43 PM
this is the----

5th Anniversary of CHAIR! 

Anyone remember their first CHAIR Grin

Where did 5 years go!?! Let alone the month of June! 

Seeing that 5 years was coming up, I planned to get much done. Was I successful? you betcha!  ...lol 

-- knitted several dishcloths and hats, two hats crocheted.
-- sewn for Charity: several dresses, shorts, ponchos.... & etc along with  6 or  7 quilt Tops sewn, with three of them completed (backing & quilting) and lots of quilt blocks completed, half-done or started

.....still going  ....Laugh 

Have a Sunshine of a Day

May our Health keep us in our Wealth of Crafting!
fabgal

fabgal
   Reply  Top
been busy but  Actions...
Posted: by deezee on Wed. 4 Jul., 2012 at 11:31:54 AM
not sure doing what.  I finished needle felting a series of stars using wool that I'd dyed in the spring.  The wool was bright colours from either Kool Aid or food dyes.  I found my brown fleece to make (hopefully) some gingerbread men

Finished knitting a curled lace shawl.  Still needs blocking, but will do that just before a sale as when it gets packed into a box, everything will get unblocked again.  After this, I've been bogged as to what to knit next.  I have socks for appointments but need something to inspire me.

Wove a few shawls.  Finished 2 blue mixed ones and also a pink one.  I admit the pink shawl was woven but not washed and dried in June.  Here's the pink one - in it's finished state

I used a pink fluffy yarn as weft and when it was washed  (there were long floats) the fuzzy yarn hugged itself.  So there are bands across.  I can say it was a design feature while in fact I don't like this.

I sorted through my quilting fabrics and now there are wee piles of fabric sitting waiting to make for fall fair aprons.  I also sewed 4 new tops - 2 for me and 2 for Mom.

edited cause of a goof - dyed instead of dried - slight difference

deezee
edited Wed. 4 Jul., 2012 @ 11:33:22 AM by deezee

Reply  Top
the shawl  Actions...
Posted: by fabgal on Wed. 4 Jul., 2012 at 12:18:55 PM
In reply to: deezee "been busy but"
does look pretty. I like the different color tones. 

Congrats on sewing something 4U.  Bought fabric for myself to sew tops/blouses 4me, haven't got round to. I should "plan" as they are for summer. 

Have a Sunshine of a Day

May our Health keep us in our Wealth of Crafting!
fabgal

fabgal
   Reply  Top
seems like me as well  Actions...
Posted: by deezee on Wed. 4 Jul., 2012 at 2:02:44 PM
In reply to: fabgal "the shawl"
I get fabric and have plans but then everything else gets in line before it.  I had to sew for Mom so when I cut our her's, I also cut mine.  Now her's are completely done - mine are still missing hemming but we have house guests and one is bedded in my sewing room - so can't finish it yet.  I also cut our a pair of pants for me - hope to have them by fall?

You said you've been making quilt blocks - are they in blankets /quilts yet?  what are your plans for them?  A friend's Aunt was downsizing and she was a quilter.  So my friend arrived with 2 boxes of quilting pieces.  What a treasure - it was like Christmas to sort though someone else's stash.  The Aunt still has 5 boxes and likely will need to part with more - I'm not complaining but feel sorry for her having to part with favourites that she was saving for someday - at least that's what I tend to do.

deezee
   Reply  Top
Hi Deezee-wondering---  Actions...
Posted: by jjaycee on Sat. 7 Jul., 2012 at 6:51:36 PM
In reply to: deezee "been busy but"

How big is your Loom?  Is it on it's own stand?  Did you buy this or build it yourself, or is it a hand me down treasure?

I have a small one-still in the box from many years ago.  I am aiming for this winter now that I am retired.

Have not looked at all-is there lots of ideas(instructions) available on the web like there is for Crochet & Knit?

jjaycee
   Reply  Top
my loom  Actions...
Posted: by deezee on Sat. 7 Jul., 2012 at 7:08:37 PM
In reply to: jjaycee "Hi Deezee-wondering---"
I have a 36" floor loom.  This means it can weave up to about 33" in width as you can't weave the full width.  I bought this well over 30 years ago - it's a le Clerc.  I get lots of ideas from weaving guilds that I belong to as well as I get a weaving magazine - otherwise it's just trying and playing.  There are some web sites as well.  When you're ready, give a shout.

deezee
   Reply  Top
  «   Page 1 of 1   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
Denotes unread or updated content since your last visit.
Denotes new content since your last visit.
font size »