home » community » discussion forums

COMMUNITY UPDATE: Please note that as of January 1, 2014 at 1 a.m. EST these forums will no longer be supported. We encourage you to start saving any of the content you would like to keep on your personal device(s). If you have questions regarding our decision to discontinue the forums please see our FAQ

crafts & hobbies
The forum has been marked as read.
The topic has been marked as read.
  «   Page 1 of 1   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
CHAIR anyone?  Actions...
Posted: by Bonita_again_ on Wed. 1 Aug., 2012 at 2:36:21 PM
I have crocheted more hats than you can imagine.  I'd forgotten how fast crochet is because I'd been knitting so much.  I'm trying to use up all the stray balls of yarn in my stash by making cloche style hats with flowers.  I've probably made about 10 hats with flowers that I added plus a lot of odd flowers from leftover yarn.  

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, which is why it's called present.

Bonita_again_
   Reply  Top
As for me  Actions...
Posted: by wilnita on Wed. 1 Aug., 2012 at 5:27:18 PM
In reply to: Bonita_again_ "CHAIR anyone?"
I'm on my 4th Teddy Bear made from fun fir ..Christmas presents for GGkidsSmileywilnita

wilnita
   Reply  Top
been busy  Actions...
Posted: by deezee on Thu. 2 Aug., 2012 at 2:18:31 PM
with a fiber show and sale later this month and then the local fall fair.  The latest projects off the loom are scarves - 2 of both colours (red and white).  These are 100% cotton and very open weave.  The white ones were first an I left the gap as 1" but then moved it to 3/4" for the second white and the red.  The gap on the loom should be 1" (1" of warp) but when it comes off the gap seems too large.  The one on the left is the 1" gap.

This shawl started out to be a blanket but...there were purple stripes as well but the yarn proven to be too sticky to work in the loom - every beat the yarns held to themselves too strong for the beater to separate.  So I ended up removing the purple stripes and thus it became narrower, and a shawl.  The pink is boucle yarn and it was only barely able to weave with - lesson learned!  I was given the balls of the boucle and didn't realize there were 2 shades of pink until after putting it on the loom - notice the side bands are 'pinker' then the 2 central bands

deezee
   Reply  Top
Well, as I was not able to post pics for June CHAIR  Actions...
Posted: by RN_74 on Thu. 2 Aug., 2012 at 4:02:20 PM
I will tell you about them for July. I finished all sewing crafting projects for our first Grandchild, who is due ANY DAY NOW!! I told you about the flannelette receiving blankets, and swaddling blanket (which really is more like a bunting bag), the nursing cape, and the bassinet skirt. I decided the skirt looked too plain, so added a bit of ric rack trim at the hem. I made a swag lamp for the nursery with animal decals on a plain white shade. I made the curtains for the nursery window, and added ribbon trim to the header and the inside edge and grommet tops. They were made from outdoor fabric.  I made a bunny diaper stacker to hang on the wall near the change table. I had enough fabric leftover from the bassinet skirt and the previous two color pillows I had made, so I just figured.....what the heck, I may has well make the diaper stacker. I had also purchased a pre printed quilted panel with Noah's Ark (their nursery theme) on it, so I sewed satin blanket binding onto it.  As well, DH and I along with DD's MIL painted the nursery. The knitting had been done ages ago. 

Then, just to keep my hands busy I went back to knitting blanket bunny buddies. Have 2 blue and 1 pink completed for the church bazaar next fall. As soon as I know if baby is a boy or a girl, I have a sweater pattern I want to try.  Just finally want to knit something that is not done in gender neutral colors!

Although it should go in food forum, I also spent a few days with DD cooking and baking to fill their freezer for the tiring and busy days after they come home with the baby. 

RN_74
   Reply  Top
Nothing Hot!  Actions...
Posted: by jjaycee on Sun. 5 Aug., 2012 at 1:50:44 PM

Refuse to make scarves but have plans to do so.  Don't like that they lay in your lap as they get longer and make you even warmer.  Maybe on a rainy day I'll start one.

Doing something that would be warm to work on also if I was further along-granny squares for a blanket-double bed size.  Each square is manageable in this heat.  Forecast for today is 37!

jjaycee
   Reply  Top
July  Actions...
Posted: by catsknit on Mon. 6 Aug., 2012 at 2:04:44 PM

I finished my purple linen cowl and washed it for the first time to soften it up.  Then when I brought it in off the line, I noticed a HUGE hole!  Don't know how I missed that when I was knitting (car trip, lol) but I did.  So now I have to repair it before I wear it (rhyming, ha ha!)  So I am sulking for a bit over that fiasco. 

Made a pair of bathroom curtains for my friend, from an upcycled duvet cover / pillow shams. The duvet cover set was very old, slightly faded and worn in spots, but it looks wonderful as a set of curtains (valance and lower half).  The duvet cover was from IKEA but looked like Cath Kidson lol.    My friend is thrilled and I am happy that I don't have to look at a piece of fabric held up with clothes pins anymore.  They moved into this house in March and have had a lot of work to do (the garden has been transformed!) but they hadn't tackled curtains yet.

I couldn't get a grip on my next knitting project so I started a dishcloth in an elaborate vine pattern. Might use the pattern for a wool (ie winter) cowl after this if I like it.

Also I have joined a cardmaking club.  We meet once a month and make 5 cards.  I really like the cards that the facilitor /demonstrator chooses--she has a talent for beautiful cards so I know I will love all of them.  July's cards lived up to my expectation and she is talking about Christmas cards for August!

Rule Britannia!  Britannia Rules the Waves . . . . .

catsknit
   Reply  Top
haven't  Actions...
Posted: by Koda on Mon. 6 Aug., 2012 at 3:20:26 PM
been doing much, still working on my huge afghan. I've set it aside for now because it's just too hot to have it sitting on my lap, ends to weave in & border still to do. 

I have a few balls of homespun sitting around so I'm going to make some scarves, put them away for Christmas or maybe try to sell a few. I'd like to work on getting rid of some of my stash of yarns, just don't have any storage around here. 

Attention is the rarest and purest form of generosity. — Simone Weil

Koda
   Reply  Top
Good idea, Koda  Actions...
Posted: by catsknit on Tue. 7 Aug., 2012 at 12:52:28 AM
In reply to: Koda "haven't"

Homespun makes really nice scarves--great Christmas gift because they are nice and fuzzy.  It is the kind of scarf that people love to pick up and hold--I bet you could sell them (or donate them in January if the sales don't go well, lol).

I have made the snowman hats from the white homespun and they are very popular, even as joke presents.  I had black Canadiana in my stash (for crocheted eyes, embroidered mouth) but I bought a ball of orange to make the carrot noses. 

Doesn't it feel great to reduce your stash a bit?  If I sell some stuff, I am happy to go out and buy some nice yarn for something FOR ME  or a new set of needles etc.  It is nice to earn a treat for yourself after all the hard work. 

Our weather is becoming more craft friendly--it was down to 12 last night!!  However days are still hot but I don't knit during the day.  I am looking forward to being able to bake in the evenings again when it is cooler.  Maybe you will be picking up your afghan in the evenings soon too.

Rule Britannia!  Britannia Rules the Waves . . . . .

catsknit
   Reply  Top
yeah  Actions...
Posted: by Koda on Tue. 7 Aug., 2012 at 11:00:50 AM
In reply to: catsknit "Good idea, Koda"
maybe I will, it's just such a heavy project that I start sweating. It's supposed to be a wedding gift the end of August but I don't think I'll get it done. 

I think if I give a scarf to my son's girlfriend, she can wear it & all her friends will ask if they can have one, lol! 

It's a bit cooler here today as well, we haven't exactly had a hot summer but the last week has been a bit of a heat wave. I was happy to see a bit of rain yesterday.

Koda
   Reply  Top
Agree with catsknit  Actions...
Posted: by RN_74 on Tue. 7 Aug., 2012 at 3:07:10 PM
In reply to: catsknit "Good idea, Koda"
I use homespun to make the crochet curly scarves. They sell like hotcakes at our church bazaar! I have made them for friends and relatives, and yes, I get asked if I will make one for someone who had seen them. I find it a nice evening in front of the TV project, as you can pretty much half concentrate and make a scarf in one evening, or on a car trip or  flight. 

RN_74
   Reply  Top
yes  Actions...
Posted: by Koda on Tue. 7 Aug., 2012 at 4:38:43 PM
In reply to: RN_74 "Agree with catsknit"
I made some curly scarves last year, lol! 

Koda
   Reply  Top
in an evening?  Actions...
Posted: by deezee on Tue. 7 Aug., 2012 at 5:45:26 PM
In reply to: RN_74 "Agree with catsknit"
I knit curly scarves and they take lots of time to knit (short rows on each side of center).  I've been using very fine silk and merino wool.  I'm not a crocheter but this sounds so much faster - do you have a pattern you could share?  Your 'homespun" - is this in fact real homespun or is this a brand of someone?

deezee
   Reply  Top
Lionbrand  Actions...
Posted: by Koda on Tue. 7 Aug., 2012 at 6:03:09 PM
In reply to: deezee "in an evening?"
Homespun. You can find lots of free patterns at their website, you just have to become a member (which is free). 

Koda
   Reply  Top
my list  Actions...
Posted: by deezee on Tue. 7 Aug., 2012 at 10:27:57 PM
In reply to: Koda "Lionbrand"
I admit I've only crocheted a few times but if this in fact so fast -I'll give it a try.  The one that I'm knitting has so many hours already and I'm only 1/4 done.  I got some nice tangarine yarn a few days ago (on sale at a Zellers final closing) so will try crocheting a curly scarf with that.  Now to get out my book to remember how to do the stitches.  Thanks for the site - I visit it, but only for knitting - time to broaden my looking.

deezee
   Reply  Top
there's  Actions...
Posted: by Koda on Tue. 7 Aug., 2012 at 11:41:30 PM
In reply to: deezee "my list"
always youtube videos if you get stuck, had to use it myself a few times. 

Even though I learned to crochet (taught myself) when I was a teen, I get stuck on some instructions. 

Koda
   Reply  Top
Much faster to crochet  Actions...
Posted: by Bonita_again_ on Tue. 7 Aug., 2012 at 7:17:58 PM
In reply to: deezee "in an evening?"
I've made both knit and. crochet scarves and although the knit ones are gorgeous and fine the crochet curly scarves really do work up in an evening.  I would never attempt to sell my knitted curly scarves....nobody would pay for all the work involved.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, which is why it's called present.

Bonita_again_
   Reply  Top
maybe that's what I should do  Actions...
Posted: by fabgal on Wed. 8 Aug., 2012 at 11:46:13 AM
In reply to: Koda "haven't"
I have a few Homespun balls too, nice variegated colors.
 I did start a shrug pattern with one, had put that down for some reason or another, some couple years ago ...lol     I should think about scarves of a sort, something to do on a road trip when the A/C is on. Cooler than an afghan  ....lol   

Have a Sunshine of a Day

May our Health keep us in our Wealth of Crafting!
fabgal

fabgal
   Reply  Top
I would say my CHAIR is  Actions...
Posted: by fabgal on Wed. 8 Aug., 2012 at 11:25:49 AM
covered with  CHARITY Smiley   

-  some shorts, about 6 knitted dishcloths, a couple quilts with a few quilt tops completed waiting for backing and or batting plus quilt tops in process. I'm on a quilt binge Grin
-  de-cluttered my crafty stuff of beads, pom-poms, modeling clay, embroidery yarn and etc..... for donation  

-  purchased a few sewing and quilting supplies
-  completed the Block-of-the-Month, Quilt block, in plenty of time to get my next one. 

Have a Sunshine of a Day

fabgal

fabgal
   Reply  Top
oh, I forgot  Actions...
Posted: by fabgal on Wed. 8 Aug., 2012 at 11:32:01 AM
I too am using strays and full balls in hopes of de-cluttering my yarn stash. I did crochet one hat, tam style in different colors (for Charity) Used colors that can be worn by a girl or boy. 

Have a Sunshine of a Day

fabgal

fabgal
   Reply  Top
  «   Page 1 of 1   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
Denotes unread or updated content since your last visit.
Denotes new content since your last visit.
font size »