home » community » discussion forums

COMMUNITY UPDATE: Please note that as of January 1, 2014 at 1 a.m. EST these forums will no longer be supported. We encourage you to start saving any of the content you would like to keep on your personal device(s). If you have questions regarding our decision to discontinue the forums please see our FAQ

family
The forum has been marked as read.
The topic has been marked as read.
  «   Page 1 of 1   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
son's girlfriend  Actions...
Posted: by chloe1056 on Fri. 17 Aug., 2012 at 6:38:26 PM
Hello,
Am I silly to feel sad that son's girlfriend - almost 3 years is leaving this weekend - distance of  5 hours away by plane due to lack of employment in her field... She has really helped him to settle down, become more dedicated to his university schooling and just a happier person.
I am sad for both of them that they will be apart. I will be also meeting up with him after he goes to airport to say good bye and not sure if I should ask how he feels etc.

chloe1056
   Reply  Top
I think you would know  Actions...
Posted: by krissie on Fri. 17 Aug., 2012 at 9:15:18 PM
In reply to: chloe1056 "son's girlfriend"
how he feels. I wouldn't ask him anything, I would let him be the one to talk, if he wants to. Maybe if he's sad, he might not even want to talk, I'm sure you'll catch on pretty quick. Sometimes a hug is enough and speaks volumes.

krissie
   Reply  Top
i think so too  Actions...
Posted: by chloe1056 on Fri. 17 Aug., 2012 at 9:45:13 PM
In reply to: krissie "I think you would know"
He will  maybe act tough or on the other hand when he is really sad, he is not afraid to cry which is awesome I give him  hugs as much as possible and will hug him tomorrow    I feel bad for her.She wants to work so much and is willing to leave a loving home friends etc  to pursue her career - she just graduated...

chloe1056
   Reply  Top
Turn the feelings of sadness  Actions...
Posted: by krissie on Sat. 18 Aug., 2012 at 1:04:50 AM
In reply to: chloe1056 "i think so too"
into joy even though it hurts. Keep up a positive attitude, your son will need to see this from you.  Thumbs up to her to have the determination to leave in order to pursue her career. If it is meant for them to be a couple things will work it's way out. 

krissie
   Reply  Top
......  Actions...
Posted: by margab on Sat. 18 Aug., 2012 at 7:11:49 AM
In reply to: chloe1056 "son's girlfriend"
Well I'd say good for her!  It's so easy for graduates to say there are no jobs, but they're not prepared to go after the jobs.  I think it says a lot of positive things about her.    I don't think you're "silly" to feel the way you do, but I'm sure the time apart will determine whether they're meant to be together.  Has your ds graduated?  Does he have a job in your town?  Maybe he will move out there too, or maybe she'll move back once she has experience.  Somehow, if it can last long distance, then they'll be fine.. If not, perhaps it wasn't meant to be.  Hope your ds is doing ok and keeping busy.

margab
   Reply  Top
Well  Actions...
Posted: by chloe1056 on Sat. 18 Aug., 2012 at 4:26:27 PM
In reply to: margab "......"
I picked him up this morning and met her parents for the first time. They are lovely couple and easy to talk to. They were trying to be strong and they indicated how their daughter kept them grounded which she  has done the same for my son. It was easy to see they were trying to be strong and not cry.
 Son is still in university, another year or so. Son has a part time job and working today. He will be back at school soon. I just hope he doesn't revert to old ways.  Her parents invited him for Thanksgiving diner.  They are quite fond of him. They won't see their daughter till Christmas. It brought back all sorts of emotions when I left my son 4 hours away( he is now at  a local university) for university.
They have done long distance before when she was at university - 6 hours by train.

chloe1056
   Reply  Top
You say that you hope he  Actions...
Posted: by krissie on Sat. 18 Aug., 2012 at 6:30:55 PM
In reply to: chloe1056 "Well"
doesn't revert to old ways. Obviously undesirable. You cannot expect his girlfriend to carry him, so to speak.  He has to make good choices for himself. And if he doesn't he can't blame her, only himself. Here's hoping that this all turns out on a positive note for the two of them.

krissie
   Reply  Top
you are right  Actions...
Posted: by chloe1056 on Sat. 18 Aug., 2012 at 7:33:53 PM
In reply to: krissie "You say that you hope he"
 I do hope it turns out positive for both of them and you are right that she " can't carry him.
He had stopped caring about school and when they got together and both in school, he started to focus, and really want to do well. I hope this continues.

chloe1056
   Reply  Top
  «   Page 1 of 1   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
Denotes unread or updated content since your last visit.
Denotes new content since your last visit.
font size »