home » community » discussion forums

COMMUNITY UPDATE: Please note that as of January 1, 2014 at 1 a.m. EST these forums will no longer be supported. We encourage you to start saving any of the content you would like to keep on your personal device(s). If you have questions regarding our decision to discontinue the forums please see our FAQ

general forum
The forum has been marked as read.
The topic has been marked as read.
  «   Page 1 of 2   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
Update on Mr FP  Actions...
Posted: by flowerpot on Wed. 14 Mar., 2012 at 12:19:10 AM
DH had an appointment with his surgeon today.  Good news is that he can FINALLY start physio and has an appointment tomorrow.  Bad news is that his arms are STILL not completely healed.  He can start "light" physio, but can't get into the serious stuff for another month or more.  Doc says the bones won't be fully healed for another 2-3 months.  Well, that puts it into June.  So, spring seeding is definitely out for this year.  We have someone lined up to put our crop in for us.  Just hoping now that DH will be in shape to take it off this fall.
Oh boy, that split second fall sure messed up our whole livelihood.  I am still telling myself, it could've been worse.  Can't convince DH of that right now though.

flowerpot
   Reply  Top
Flowerpot....  Actions...
Posted: by _mom_ on Wed. 14 Mar., 2012 at 12:58:03 AM
In reply to: flowerpot "Update on Mr FP"

Isn't it amazing how a few seconds can change your life.  Glad to hear that DH is finally able to stat physio, but what a long haul it has been for you.  Good to hear that someone is going to put our crop in for you.  When it's your livelihood it sure can make a difference.  But yes, it could have been worse.....you are always in our thoughts and prayers.  Keep your chin up, girl.  It will get better.

On another note....I can't remember...did I send you some seeds?  I think I did....man...getting old is terrible!! 

_mom_
   Reply  Top
Yes you did, mom  Actions...
Posted: by flowerpot on Wed. 14 Mar., 2012 at 8:33:13 PM
In reply to: _mom_ "Flowerpot...."
Got them today.  Thanks very much.  And thanks for your kind thoughts.

flowerpot
   Reply  Top
a draw back for the self employed  Actions...
Posted: by tigsw_tigsw on Wed. 14 Mar., 2012 at 1:47:20 AM
but we never wanted it any other way..no fancy medical insurance paid holidays etc etc...I understand your frustrations...life is not fair...but being self employed still carries its benefits and a lot more pride I think..good to be independent...you will get over this bump too....one day at a time and a whole lot of logic and planning....it will workThumb up

MUSKOKA IS THE NAME NOT THE MUSKOKAS

see facebook page 

If everyone walked on the right hand side when in a crowd you would not bump into each other.                               

█ ♥ █ C a n a d a

tigsw_tigsw
   Reply  Top
No, we wouldn't want it any other way.  Actions...
Posted: by flowerpot on Wed. 14 Mar., 2012 at 8:38:20 PM
In reply to: tigsw_tigsw "a draw back for the self employed"
Thanks for your kind thoughts, tigsw.

flowerpot
   Reply  Top
Thanks for the update  Actions...
Posted: by MsGinny on Wed. 14 Mar., 2012 at 9:15:48 AM

It's slower as we age, it's just the way it is, but nontheless frustrating when you just want to get on with things.  But at least he can start light physio, so that will show some progress. 

It's like they say, life turns on a dime... wonder where that expression came from anyway?

MsGinny
   Reply  Top
We were surprised to see..  Actions...
Posted: by flowerpot on Wed. 14 Mar., 2012 at 8:51:45 PM
In reply to: MsGinny "Thanks for the update"
..the xrays show that his bones aren't healed yet.  That's what has been taking so long.  Doc says it could take up to 6 months.  Sucks to be getting old.  Thanks for your kind wishes, MsGinny.

flowerpot
   Reply  Top
...  Actions...
Posted: by dreamer16 on Wed. 14 Mar., 2012 at 11:45:47 AM
Yeah, I've wasted plenty of time with those 'what ifs' so I'd strongly advise your dh to not go there, if he can avoid this.  Life happens, and we must make the best of whatever happens to us.  Just follow that old 70s saying and "Keep on trucking."  That's what will work best in the end.  No matter what happens to us, we must keep on going, and try our best to overcome whatever it is that's set us back in the first place.  And, if we can't do that, if the obstacle becomes too great to overcome, then we must learn other mindsets to prepare us for a different type of future.  

I'm glad to hear that you have someone lined up for the spring seeding.  Hopefully this won't affect your dh too much in emotional type of ways -- that is, watching someone else do what he thinks he should be doing.  If so, then drag him back to his doctor before this becomes a serious problem.  Men who farm often have a great deal of pride, and their sense of self is often partly wrapped up in what they have accomplished on their farm.  But then, you do know that.  ;-)

So, flowerpot, now it's time for you to become 'Helga' (as we often call my youngest dd when she becomes militant about us getting off our lazy butts and working out/walking/skating/swimming/etc. with her).  Your dh might balk at doing some of these exercises, since they are boring and repetitive as he--, but make it your job to keep at him and force the issue.  Crack that whip!  :-)  

"Why fit in when you were born to stand out?"  Dr. Seuss

"Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behaviour does."  (unknown)

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."  George S. Patton

The poster formerly known as Writer Mom (stolen from Prince)  

dreamer16
   Reply  Top
Helga - that's funny  Actions...
Posted: by flowerpot on Wed. 14 Mar., 2012 at 8:36:43 PM
In reply to: dreamer16 "..."
I'll have to change my forum name now, hey?  I don't think I'll have to crack (oops, I typed crap first Roll of the eyes) the whip much.  DH is determined to get better, I just hope he doesn't overdo it.

Yes, DH has plenty of pride, I think it's a strong farmer trait.  I wish he would swallow some of it sometimes.  Thanks dreamer.

flowerpot
edited Wed. 14 Mar., 2012 @ 8:53:32 PM by flowerpot

Reply  Top
I'm so glad!  Actions...
Posted: by a.doll on Wed. 14 Mar., 2012 at 12:15:32 PM

It is good to hear he is healing (although slowly) and also that you have some help lined up for this season.   This is just one season and I'm sure next season he will be doing things much as he used to do before the accident.  I smiled at dreamer's comment about "Helga" - that's right - your hubby will have to be very good about his exercises as recommended by his physiotherapist.  I'm sorry he is down about all of this and I hope his spirits lift soon.

When you feel in your gut what you are and then dynamically pursue it – don’t back down and don’t give up – then you’re going to mystify a lot of folks. ― Bob Dylan

The poster formerly known as plexy (stolen from Jack Johnson)  and before that known as sexyplexy (nickname just for fun!)  ;)

a.doll
   Reply  Top
Thanks a.doll  Actions...
Posted: by flowerpot on Wed. 14 Mar., 2012 at 8:48:11 PM
In reply to: a.doll "I'm so glad!"
His first day of physio (this morning) went pretty good.  Getting the crop in is our whole year's livelihood, no crop, no income.  It was weighing heavy on his mind and I think he is feeling a bit relieved tonight now that he has a few business decisions confirmed. 

flowerpot
   Reply  Top
Thanks for the update,  Actions...
Posted: by foreverinbluejeans on Wed. 14 Mar., 2012 at 4:52:02 PM

Hang in there flowerpot, together you WILL get through this. Glad to hear he can start some light Physio ... baby steps again, slow but sure, but it is progress.
Too bad we live so far away, hubby and I would have been there to help out in a heartbeat.
We lived in AB some 20 years ago in a very small farming community, and always helped out whenever someone needed it. Sometimes it was a rush to get seeding finished, other times to combine and get the crops off the field, but everyone pulled together and it aways got done.
It's good to hear you have help with the seeding, now we hope & pray you're hubby will be all healed up by the time harvest comes around.
You concentrate on yourself and hubby, and let the powers that be look after the rest.

You are a very strong, capable woman flowerpot, your hubby is a very lucky man indeed. Take great care of yourself .. ya hear me??

*foreverinbluejeans*

foreverinbluejeans
   Reply  Top
Really?  Actions...
Posted: by flowerpot on Wed. 14 Mar., 2012 at 8:40:34 PM
In reply to: foreverinbluejeans "Thanks for the update,"
Can you tell me what AB town it was you lived in?  Who knows, maybe you were a neighbour.  If you don't want to say I understand you wish for privacy.
Thanks for your wishes, foreverinbj.  It's great to have wonderful neighbours.

flowerpot
   Reply  Top
I somehow missed your post!  Actions...
Posted: by foreverinbluejeans on Mon. 19 Mar., 2012 at 4:48:57 PM
In reply to: flowerpot "Really?"

So sorry flowerpot, my relic of a desktop PC is just about ready to bite the dust, so I've been checking in here on my little ipod instead and nearly missed you!

So to answer your question, we would have been quite a bit south of you. We were down around the southeast AB region, central between Calgary and Medicine Hat /Lethbridge regions. Out daughter and family still live there, so we'll be out there camping for a week again this summer.

They have been very warm lately, so I'm sure they are going to be pretty dry right about now when they need the moisture ready for seeding/ germination.
I did see there was a Winter storm warning yesterday for that region and all along the Sask border, but never heard anymore about it, so not sure if they got any moisture out of it or not.
Good luck with your seeding, thankgoodness for good friends, family and neighbors eh!
Our thoughts are with you, we'll keep our fingers & toes x'd for you.

*foreverinbluejeans*

foreverinbluejeans
   Reply  Top
Yes the Hat is about 3 hours south of us.  Actions...
Posted: by flowerpot on Mon. 19 Mar., 2012 at 6:32:06 PM
In reply to: foreverinbluejeans "I somehow missed your post!"
And yes we are in the middle of a good old AB blizzard right now.  Right from Medicine Hat to Cold Lake.  Me and ABmom are smack dab in the middle of it.  They are forecasting up to a foot before it's over with tomorrow.  There is already about 4-5 inches on the bird bath.  Seems every year we get a crow snow in March.  But we need the moisture so shouldn't complain, we've been pretty lucky all winter.
I heard on the news recently that southern AB already has fire bans on, it's desperately dry, so they will sure appreciate this snow.
Our neighbours left this morning for Maui, flying out of Calgary with their DD and family.  I think they picked a good time to leave the country!

flowerpot
   Reply  Top
frustrating for  Actions...
Posted: by ABmom99 on Wed. 14 Mar., 2012 at 7:24:13 PM
both of you I'm sure. Sometimes its hard to have to be so patient in recovering from injuries like Mr FP!  Its been a long haul, hard to say 'enjoy your time 'off' even' - I know the daily issues of normal getting around, taking care of him - him gradually becoming a little better with things even.  Glad you've got someone to seed this year... hopefully we'll get some good heavy spring rains with the little snow we've had this year almost all melted already.  Thinking of you often... thinking coffee .... but I've been overwhelmed workwise these days. 

ABmom99
   Reply  Top
We were by your town the other day..  Actions...
Posted: by flowerpot on Wed. 14 Mar., 2012 at 8:41:49 PM
In reply to: ABmom99 "frustrating for"
..on our way east and I thought of you, ABmom.  Thanks for your kind thoughts.

flowerpot
   Reply  Top
That is  Actions...
Posted: by Simply_Trying on Wed. 14 Mar., 2012 at 9:23:51 PM
frustrating for DH I`m sure but still good news that things will eventually get better... Hope that with the warmer days and such and the light physio Mr FP feels stronger and better each and everyday.

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.
Henry David Thoreau

Simply_Trying
   Reply  Top
Thanks ST  Actions...
Posted: by flowerpot on Wed. 14 Mar., 2012 at 10:18:50 PM
In reply to: Simply_Trying "That is"
Every day brings a small improvement.  He doesn't always see it but I do.

flowerpot
   Reply  Top
xray  Actions...
Posted: by flowerpot on Wed. 14 Mar., 2012 at 10:23:12 PM
Here is an xray of his left elbow.  Could build a birdhouse with all those screws!

flowerpot
   Reply  Top
  «   Page 1 of 2   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
Denotes unread or updated content since your last visit.
Denotes new content since your last visit.
font size »