home » community » discussion forums

COMMUNITY UPDATE: Please note that as of January 1, 2014 at 1 a.m. EST these forums will no longer be supported. We encourage you to start saving any of the content you would like to keep on your personal device(s). If you have questions regarding our decision to discontinue the forums please see our FAQ

general forum
The forum has been marked as read.
The topic has been marked as read.
  «   Page 1 of 1   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
What I've Learned in Sixty Years  Actions...
Posted: by dreamer16 on Thu. 22 Mar., 2012 at 1:04:45 AM
This article was posted earlier this week in the Toronto Star, but I missed this, and read it tonight as part of another article via a link.

I thought this was both interesting and right on target.

http://www.thestar.com/living/fashion/article/1147803--jeanne-beker-what-i-ve-learned-in-60-years

"Why fit in when you were born to stand out?"  Dr. Seuss

"Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behaviour does."  (unknown)

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."  George S. Patton

The poster formerly known as Writer Mom (stolen from Prince)  

dreamer16
   Reply  Top
wonderful article!  Actions...
Posted: by a.doll on Thu. 22 Mar., 2012 at 1:36:37 AM
In reply to: dreamer16 "What I've Learned in Sixty Years"

Thanks for sharing this!

This is one of my favorites:

"I’ve learned that sharing our innermost feelings and personal experiences is the greatest gift we can give one another; that laughter is the best medicine; and that while you can never go wrong if you dress in black, colour is more likely to lift your spirits."

You aren't having a birthday anytime soon are you?  Wink

When you feel in your gut what you are and then dynamically pursue it – don’t back down and don’t give up – then you’re going to mystify a lot of folks. ― Bob Dylan

The poster formerly known as plexy (stolen from Jack Johnson)  and before that known as sexyplexy (nickname just for fun!)  ;)

a.doll
   Reply  Top
Not a fan of Jeanne Becker...  Actions...
Posted: by _mom_ on Thu. 22 Mar., 2012 at 11:58:55 PM
In reply to: a.doll "wonderful article!"
but I loved the article.  She's sooo right on so many things!

_mom_
   Reply  Top
Not a fan either  Actions...
Posted: by tigsw_tigsw on Fri. 23 Mar., 2012 at 3:30:44 PM
In reply to: _mom_ "Not a fan of Jeanne Becker..."
what I thought when I read the article...I have read all of that before...think I have too..bits here and there and she sort of put it together...maybe good research...still not impressed...sorry

MUSKOKA IS THE NAME NOT THE MUSKOKAS

see facebook page 

If everyone walked on the right hand side when in a crowd you would not bump into each other.                               

█ ♥ █ C a n a d a

tigsw_tigsw
   Reply  Top
She sure sure can copy  Actions...
Posted: by Nanny G on Fri. 23 Mar., 2012 at 7:55:47 PM
In reply to: tigsw_tigsw "Not a fan either"

she still does not know about copyright laws

I will tell you that in 72 years I have learned that I know absolutely nothing, and have everything to learn.

Nanny G
   Reply  Top
...  Actions...
Posted: by dreamer16 on Fri. 23 Mar., 2012 at 8:15:50 PM
In reply to: a.doll "wonderful article!"
No, just had my 55th not too long ago...  :-)

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."  George S. Patton

dreamer16
   Reply  Top
...  Actions...
Posted: by dreamer16 on Fri. 23 Mar., 2012 at 8:38:21 PM
In reply to: dreamer16 "What I've Learned in Sixty Years"
Yes, I realize that much of this has already been stated or written elsewhere, but I haven't seen it written all together in quite this way.

As has been essentially stated for centuries: "There is nothing new under the sun."  And this is especially applicable when it comes to writing.  All stories are just variations on others, and those true tales of misfortune or hope are just variations on what has already happened to others.  So one must simply find new ways of presenting them. 

That said, I'd also like to add what I've learned in 55 years, and that's that it's not worth the effort to get myself worked up over inconsequential matters.  Life is too short for this.  I'd rather use this energy to enjoy any positive aspects of life than waste it on needless negativity.    

Feel free to join in with your regurgitation of what's already been said.  ;-)

dreamer16
   Reply  Top
I saw her once  Actions...
Posted: by _temp_ on Fri. 23 Mar., 2012 at 8:45:27 PM
In reply to: dreamer16 "..."
I was walking on a sidewalk and she was just on her way to a buildng and the strap came undone on one of her boots and she had to stop to fix it
nothing exciting just stuff that happens to all of us

_temp_
   Reply  Top
lol  Actions...
Posted: by dreamer16 on Fri. 23 Mar., 2012 at 8:49:31 PM
In reply to: _temp_ "I saw her once"
So she isn't a superstar with an entourage.  ;-)  

To be honest, I hadn't heard of her before this article and I do read this paper.  However, I'm often short on time so tend to pick and choose my articles.  I guess I must either skip over hers or not pay attention to who's written it.  {shrugs}

dreamer16
   Reply  Top
About Jeanne Beker  Actions...
Posted: by Carol_cp on Sat. 24 Mar., 2012 at 5:21:06 AM
In reply to: dreamer16 "lol"
She's been around the Southern Ontario tv scene for years.She writes in the Toronto Star now but has been around lots of other media.She has a clothing line at the Bay.I've seen her twice in the past year.Once sitting at a table next to us in a restaurant with her mother and 2 dd's and once in Niagara on the Lake,also with her mother,at a play.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeanne_Beker

Carol_cp
   Reply  Top
Thanks for explaining  Actions...
Posted: by dreamer16 on Sat. 24 Mar., 2012 at 2:02:54 PM
In reply to: Carol_cp "About Jeanne Beker"
This just goes to show how out of the loop I am with fashion.

I don't watch the news on television so wouldn't have seen her in any clips there, and I tend not to watch too many fashion programs.  Not that I'm not interested, but I have limited funds and I find that this just frustrates me.  ;-)

When you mentioned that she had a fashion line at the Bay, I thought, maybe I should check this out, and then something popped into my head.  Sure enough, these grey jeans that I bought a few weeks ago, that I've washed and have yet to get hemmed, are one of hers.  They're part of her Marilyn Monroe fit.  I love them, and they were the only ones at the Bay that fit my smaller waist and curvier hips and thighs properly.  So there you go.  At the time I had no idea who Jeanne Beker was, but just  figured that she was some new designer, or other person who pushing their line of fashion.  It really didn't matter to me, since all I cared about was the fit and how comfortable these new jeans were.  :-)

Many of these media personalities are just regular people who are trying to live their lives, same as the rest of us.  But, it's especially good to know when they're trying to dispense advice such as what as posted here, that they're not living enclosed in some type of protective bubble and, therefore, haven't really experienced what many of us have.

Gotta go, got caught by the person who is supposed to be taking me out. ;-)

dreamer16
   Reply  Top
*like*  Actions...
Posted: by a.doll on Fri. 23 Mar., 2012 at 9:16:01 PM
In reply to: dreamer16 "..."
We're very close in age you'n'I  :)

When you feel in your gut what you are and then dynamically pursue it – don’t back down and don’t give up – then you’re going to mystify a lot of folks. ― Bob Dylan

The poster formerly known as plexy (stolen from Jack Johnson)  and before that known as sexyplexy (nickname just for fun!)  ;)

a.doll
   Reply  Top
  «   Page 1 of 1   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
Denotes unread or updated content since your last visit.
Denotes new content since your last visit.
font size »