home » community » discussion forums

COMMUNITY UPDATE: Please note that as of January 1, 2014 at 1 a.m. EST these forums will no longer be supported. We encourage you to start saving any of the content you would like to keep on your personal device(s). If you have questions regarding our decision to discontinue the forums please see our FAQ

general forum
The forum has been marked as read.
The topic has been marked as read.
  «   Page 1 of 1   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
Summer vs Winter Olympics  Actions...
Posted: by Sarah__Chatelaine on Mon. 6 Aug., 2012 at 10:29:31 PM
Which do you prefer and why? Do you feel that Canada shines better in a winter sports setting?
Sarah, Chatelaine

Sarah__Chatelaine
   Reply  Top
I prefer  Actions...
Posted: by Koda on Mon. 6 Aug., 2012 at 11:12:17 PM
In reply to: Sarah__Chatelaine "Summer vs Winter Olympics"
neither. Around here the men will watch any sport, lol! 

Sad day for our women's soccer team though, this is one sport that I have been following. I certainly enjoyed watching our men's hockey team win the Gold back in 2010! And, of course the women's hockey team too Smiley.

Attention is the rarest and purest form of generosity. — Simone Weil

Koda
   Reply  Top
controversal soccer game  Actions...
Posted: by sueabc on Tue. 7 Aug., 2012 at 7:05:50 AM
In reply to: Koda "I prefer"
What did you think of that soccer game?  I was out all day and got home in time for the last 20 minutes of o/t.  Of course I've heard about the controversial refereeing and it's all over the news today.  At first it sounded like sour grapes, but certainly lots of people who know a lot about the sport, are talking about it as being quite unfair.  Such a shame... not just that they lost, but the whole concept of cheating.

Just heard that Simon Whitfield crashed on his bike, and has now withdrawn from the triathlon.  That's sad; he's worked so hard and is such a great competitor.

sueabc
edited Tue. 7 Aug., 2012 @ 7:09:14 AM by sueabc

Reply  Top
My DH  Actions...
Posted: by Sarah__Chatelaine on Tue. 7 Aug., 2012 at 8:12:39 AM
In reply to: sueabc "controversal soccer game"
took the baby upstairs and watched it in our room, he came down to give regular reports of bad calls and said that it looked like things were favoured for the US team. From what I saw the Canadian team played an amazing game, too bad that was taken down by the ref.
Sarah, Chatelaine

Sarah__Chatelaine
   Reply  Top
I didn't get to  Actions...
Posted: by Koda on Tue. 7 Aug., 2012 at 9:54:18 AM
In reply to: sueabc "controversal soccer game"
see the whole game, but caught the last 5 minutes at a tv in the mall, I almost cried. I did see the replays when I got home, having watching my son play soccer for about 13 years I know a little. It was quite unfair & the women were robbed, it's a shame as they worked so hard to get to this point. Of course, it's like anything else, it appears the US teams are always favoured at any of these events. 

Oh no, sad to hear Simon crashed his bike, we are from the same home town. I haven't got to the tv yet, it's still very early here. 

Attention is the rarest and purest form of generosity. — Simone Weil

Koda
   Reply  Top
Pretty much even/equal  Actions...
Posted: by Marsha on Tue. 7 Aug., 2012 at 6:44:57 AM
I think we're more likely to watch the winter Olympics just because we're a bit more housebound in winter-time than in summer, when we're more likely to be out and about.  The exception was this past Sunday when the family all gathered at the cottage but it was just bucketing down rain for much of the day so we stayed in and watched a lot of the track events.

Marsha
   Reply  Top
I like them both for different reasons  Actions...
Posted: by MsGinny on Tue. 7 Aug., 2012 at 8:57:01 AM

Water sports like rowing have always been a favourite, lots of excitement in the finishes (not to mention I know someone involved in them).  Track doesn't excite me as much or the field stuff but for events that CDNs are involved in.

Winter can be very exciting as well due to the grace of the skating, the speed of the skating and the skiing.

MsGinny
   Reply  Top
I like them both  Actions...
Posted: by flowerpot on Wed. 8 Aug., 2012 at 5:56:41 PM
But I do have more time in the winter to watch the winter sports.  Obviously Canada does better in winter sports.  But it shouldn't be about the medal count, there is too much focus on the medals.  It should be about sportsmanship and comaraderie (sp).  I saw the women's 200m race today and I liked seeing all the athletes hugging and congratulating each other when it was over.

flowerpot
   Reply  Top
I prefer the Summer Olympics  Actions...
Posted: by Bonita_again_ on Wed. 8 Aug., 2012 at 9:25:45 PM
I prefer sports like diving, rowing and gymnastics.  I must admit that Canada shines more in the winter sports though.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, which is why it's called present.

Bonita_again_
   Reply  Top
Not a favourite one-but observation  Actions...
Posted: by jjaycee on Thu. 9 Aug., 2012 at 9:53:39 AM

There seems to be more countries that participate in the Summer Olympics.

There seems to be more sports that do not require expensive equipment and expensive facilities in order to participate in the Summer Olympics.

jjaycee
   Reply  Top
Interesting point...  Actions...
Posted: by Marsha on Thu. 9 Aug., 2012 at 10:16:12 AM
In reply to: jjaycee "Not a favourite one-but observation"
A lot of the countries that compete just don't have the climate for winter sports - there isn't enough consistent cold and snow that people can train consistently (even at a non-Olympic type level).  I mean, most of us remember the Jamaican bob-sled team and also some British ski-jumper (I think it was a ski jumper - Eddie the Eagle or something...) but these were true "novelties" and those places and many more don't have snow or enough snow/cold for winter sports to be a nation-wide pursuit.

Marsha
   Reply  Top
Not quite true if money is no object...  Actions...
Posted: by TheCoho on Thu. 9 Aug., 2012 at 3:01:39 PM
In reply to: Marsha "Interesting point..."

Australia gets very little snow but they manage to train skiers all year around by sending them over to New Zealand during the southern winter and up north during the northern winter. Money! So, imagine if you have both snow and money.

It really costs nothing to run, jump or swim....it only costs if you need a trainer but the basics are free.  

Coho salmon are prized for their excellent fighting abilities and acrobatics

TheCoho
   Reply  Top
Do they actually do well in winter sports?  Actions...
Posted: by Marsha on Thu. 9 Aug., 2012 at 3:32:36 PM
In reply to: TheCoho "Not quite true if money is no object..."
I can't recall one way or the other if the Aussies do well in winter sports at The Olympics and other high level international sport competitions.  But there's loads of money in the Middle East (I think there's even a year-round ski hill in Dubai) and yet they don't seem to have any winter Olympic teams that I can think of for stuff like downhill, bobsledding, luge, etc.

Marsha
   Reply  Top
They do well enough...  Actions...
Posted: by TheCoho on Thu. 9 Aug., 2012 at 4:33:04 PM
In reply to: Marsha "Do they actually do well in winter sports?"

and have a few medals too given the size of their Winter Olympics team. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia_at_the_Winter_Olympics

I doubt that any serious skier or snowboarder looking for training heads to Dubai although you never know because it seems that Dubai is going to "push the bounds of technology" and apply for the 2022 Winter Olympics!

Coho salmon are prized for their excellent fighting abilities and acrobatics

TheCoho
   Reply  Top
  «   Page 1 of 1   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
Denotes unread or updated content since your last visit.
Denotes new content since your last visit.
font size »