home » community » discussion forums

COMMUNITY UPDATE: Please note that as of January 1, 2014 at 1 a.m. EST these forums will no longer be supported. We encourage you to start saving any of the content you would like to keep on your personal device(s). If you have questions regarding our decision to discontinue the forums please see our FAQ

special occasions
The forum has been marked as read.
The topic has been marked as read.
  «   Page 2 of 2   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
Good idea - scavenger hunt  Actions...
Posted: by ABmom99 on Thu. 23 Aug., 2012 at 12:03:59 AM
In reply to: flowerpot "Games"

I was thinking along the same lines - a great outdoor game! 

Another game - if warm enough - water ballon 'volleyball' - where the kids/adults are partnered and with a bath towel & have to toss/catch the waterfilled balloons over the net. If its a cooler day you could probably do similar with a normal soft rubber ball or bean bags. 

Old fashioned 3-legged games.  Do a mini-olympics type of set of games.

Check out 'minute to win-it' type games - cup stacking, marshmallow races etc - see link below for more ideas.

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/minute-to-win-it-games-to-play-at-home.html

ABmom99
   Reply  Top
Yes those games bring back many memories  Actions...
Posted: by tigsw_tigsw on Thu. 23 Aug., 2012 at 12:10:00 AM
In reply to: ABmom99 "Good idea - scavenger hunt"
personally, I think it is a shame that parents feel they have to spend so much money on parties these days and take them out to a special venue. There is so much fun the kids can have around the house.

Love the water balloon game. Even at adult parties/picnics we have played that.

thanks

MUSKOKA IS THE NAME NOT THE MUSKOKAS

see facebook page 

If everyone walked on the right hand side when in a crowd you would not bump into each other.                               

█ ♥ █ C a n a d a

tigsw_tigsw
   Reply  Top
BD party  Actions...
Posted: by flowerpot on Wed. 22 Aug., 2012 at 1:22:15 PM
In reply to: tigsw_tigsw "Not up-to-date on children's"
Sounds like your GD's party will be a family and friends affair.  We used to do that too when our kids were small.  We lived in the country so the parents got invited too and we all had a blast.  All my kids' BDs are in January so generally a tobaggon party and wiener roast was the plan.  Then we just let the kids play in the basement and make up their own fun.  I don't believe kids need to have planned entertainment all the time.  Hide & seek and dressup was their fun.  I had a great dressup box back in the day.

Perhaps have an area set aside if any of the kids want to draw and colour.  You can get big sheets/rolls of paper/cardboard and crayons and let them trace themselves and then colour their image.

Have cupcakes instead of a cake and let the kids decorate their own cupcake with coloured icing and sprinkles (my GDs favourite thing to do)
If you want to do face painting, get the supplies and do it yourself.  Waaay cheaper.

Cheese and crackers, fruit and veggie trays to fill those little tummies.  Do-it-yourself-Pizza is a great idea.  Keep it simple.  You could use hamburger buns for the pizza crust, that would be easy for the kids, and you.  And tastes just as good.  Lots of juice.
Good luck tigsw!  Sounds like a fun day.

flowerpot
   Reply  Top
Yes now we are on track  Actions...
Posted: by tigsw_tigsw on Wed. 22 Aug., 2012 at 1:33:24 PM
In reply to: flowerpot "BD party"
that is the way our family is.

These parties can be fun and create a lot of memories.

see facebook page 

If everyone walked on the right hand side when in a crowd you would not bump into each other.                               

█ ♥ █ C a n a d a

tigsw_tigsw
   Reply  Top
i love the cupcake idea  Actions...
Posted: by jadeyy on Wed. 22 Aug., 2012 at 5:25:14 PM
In reply to: flowerpot "BD party"
one of the women i work with had that.. and the girls just adored decorating them...

Mr. Harper really doesn’t appreciate people who disagree with him and he’ll be damned if he’ll help them spread their unwelcome views.

jadeyy
   Reply  Top
Since  Actions...
Posted: by Simply_Trying on Wed. 22 Aug., 2012 at 8:11:47 PM

the party is to be September 22nd ,  How about crafts with a Fall/Halloween theme?  Many stores are already stocked with halloween supplies.

When DD was that age, her birthday party was a Tea Party theme.   At one point the girls sat around the picnic table and pretended they were sipping tea (juice ) and had finger food to go along such as cucumber sandwiches etc.  

They decorated the cake so the cupcake decorating would work.  A limbo contest .

and since there are so many , if weather permitts, a good old fashion game of soccer baseball...

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.
Henry David Thoreau

Simply_Trying
   Reply  Top
Yes my other grand daughter  Actions...
Posted: by tigsw_tigsw on Thu. 23 Aug., 2012 at 12:19:44 AM
In reply to: Simply_Trying "Since"
had a tea party when she was about four. They were all dressed up in beautiful dresses and hats. 

A limbo contest....never thought of that...good idea.

Most of these girls are on soccer teams so that would be fitting.

thanks

see facebook page 

█ ♥ █ C a n a d a

tigsw_tigsw
   Reply  Top
ok sorry  Actions...
Posted: by Simply_Trying on Thu. 23 Aug., 2012 at 9:42:39 PM
In reply to: tigsw_tigsw "Yes my other grand daughter"
I added another replied below as the first one, which you replied to, had disapeared / I could not see it...Now it`s back Huh?  Very confusing.

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.
Henry David Thoreau

Simply_Trying
   Reply  Top
tea parties  Actions...
Posted: by margab on Thu. 23 Aug., 2012 at 6:40:06 AM
In reply to: Simply_Trying "Since"
Mine loved tea parties too, but not just for a birthday.  Often it was a doll's birthday so we 'must' have a party, lol, or they'd have a friend over and decide on a tea party. Easy enough to do, especially on the spur of the moment when you don't need big planning.  They'd love to sit outside with their cups and saucers and little sandwiches we'd make together.  Decorating cup cakes and cookies always a hit; a great winter day activity too.

margab
   Reply  Top
Weird  Actions...
Posted: by Simply_Trying on Thu. 23 Aug., 2012 at 5:01:22 PM

Huh?  I had earlier posted a reply, and now it`s gone...

Anyway , I was saying that since the party is towards the end of September, a fall or Halloween theme for decorating might be fun.   Cupcakes could be decorated by providing white, orange and black toppings etc...

If weather permits, scavenger hunt would also be a good idea as would be a good old fashioned game of kick baseball (soccer baseball using a big beach ball )

Since the birthday girls mentionned bike riding , how about a min olympic sort of afternoon with differant stations set up that are more appropriate for this age group. 

- egg race
-potato sack race
-wheel barrow race (where one person has the legs held by the partner as they race)
-3 egged race

The good old fashioned sorta games.  Having a few adults to co-ordinate the events .

Good Luck.

Henry David Thoreau

Simply_Trying
   Reply  Top
Simply_Trying  Actions...
Posted: by margab on Thu. 23 Aug., 2012 at 5:30:39 PM
In reply to: Simply_Trying "Weird"
Huh?  I had earlier posted a reply, and now it`s gone...

Scroll up, it's still there.  I think the subject is: Since

margab
   Reply  Top
yes it`s back  Actions...
Posted: by Simply_Trying on Thu. 23 Aug., 2012 at 9:44:43 PM
In reply to: margab "Simply_Trying"
but earlier it wasn`t there...I check 3 times before adding another reply...Very strange...At least I could not see it ...

Henry David Thoreau

Simply_Trying
   Reply  Top
inside idea  Actions...
Posted: by ABmom99 on Fri. 24 Aug., 2012 at 12:49:22 AM

If the weather is really nasty - you may be forced to have an indoor party. 

What about a movie? but.. not just one popped into dvd player.  If you have room, set up space like a theater - rows of seats in chairs or cushions on floor.  Kids get 'tokens'/tickets they can use in 'concession' booth for snacks - popcorn, drink, chips or other snacks (frozen yogurt tubes? snack size sandwich bag of sliced fruit?) . The token/ticket also means snacks are limited to the number of tokens available, so they don't just fill up on snacks.  Maybe play a few games prior to the movie where they can 'earn' a couple extra tokens as prizes - but each guest would still get say 3 tokens - one drink, one popcorn, one candy/snack.   A curtain over the tv screen until movie starts and room kept as dark as possible. 

Find an old classic type of kids movie - not the newest 'hot' show (or even from past 3-5 years)- they've likely seen the 'newest' or have older siblings so movies up to 5 or more years may be ones they've seen numerous times at home - but may be quite unfamiliar with movies of 25 + years ago. (Check with a few of the parents for suggestions - some may have rules for 'no Harry Potter movies' or other titles or genres).  Check time/length of movie - I'd go for a shorter one rather than longer - you don't want the party to center on watching tv, & a group of kids may become restless & not that interested... but if you make it a 'theatre' kind of experience you will hook them in better.

ABmom99
   Reply  Top
  «   Page 2 of 2   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
Denotes unread or updated content since your last visit.
Denotes new content since your last visit.
font size »