home » community » discussion forums

COMMUNITY UPDATE: Please note that as of January 1, 2014 at 1 a.m. EST these forums will no longer be supported. We encourage you to start saving any of the content you would like to keep on your personal device(s). If you have questions regarding our decision to discontinue the forums please see our FAQ

fitness & sport
The forum has been marked as read.
The topic has been marked as read.
  «   Page 1 of 1   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
I'm HOT, HOT, HOT (yoga, that is!)  Actions...
Posted: by Marsha on Tue. 31 Jul., 2012 at 7:55:09 AM
So last night, at 9:30, I went to a class called (very appropriately), SWEAT, Relax, Restore!  After the first 2 minutes, I thought, "I cannot do this" - it felt almost claustrophobic.  But I persevered and while I really didn't like the sweat dripping off my nose and into my ears and such, the class was very good. The regular teacher was ill but the good news was that the sub was the woman who teaches the "Restorative" class and with whom I've been in communication this past week and she was SO attentive.  What wasn't so great is that some uber-keener got into the room and planted herself between me and the instructor so I couldn't see a single thing.  I mean, I don't know what they mean when she says "move into Grouchy Chicken pose...".  The keener woman did and didn't really need the "front row seating" but I truly do need to be able to see the instructor.  Fortunately, the instructor came to me....and often, which was what made the class really beneficial.  The weird thing is that I expected to arrive home with a beet red face and all sticky from sweat but my face looked fantastic (not beet red at all) and strangely, I wasn't stinky from sweating nor was I sticky.  I was soooo relaxed but, oddly, had a really hard time falling asleep.  I don't know if hot yoga is really for me - I don't like hot, humid conditions - but I do want to try a "hot fundamentals" class, perhaps on a cooler day. I imagine this hot room must be blissful in February!

Marsha
   Reply  Top
Hot Yoga  Actions...
Posted: by sueabc on Tue. 31 Jul., 2012 at 2:13:23 PM
In reply to: Marsha "I'm HOT, HOT, HOT (yoga, that is!)"
I love hot yoga; it's the only kind I do, unless I'm away somewhere and feel like doing yoga and the place doesn't have a hot room.  It definitely is a different kind of 'sweat', and not 'smelly' like I get from the gym or other activities.  Yes, it can be wonderful in February, except for having to put on lots of clothes to go home.  I like it in the summer too, and by the time I've walked home, I'm way cooler than if I'd been at the gym or gone for another activity.  The studio I go to has three levels of yoga in the hot room.  The top level is power yoga, quite a work out!  I'm not always up for that, so sometimes I'll choose the middle level.  The bottom one is Bikram, which is quite structured, so you know what's coming.  Of course for all levels, you can work at your own pace, but the Power one at least, is not recommended for beginners.  

sueabc
   Reply  Top
Not me...  Actions...
Posted: by Marsha on Thu. 2 Aug., 2012 at 10:54:59 AM
In reply to: sueabc "Hot Yoga"
I don't do well in extreme heat (I don't like the cold either....I like it "just right", like Goldilocks!).  In fact, I've got quite sick a few times in the heat. I didn't change after the class - the studio was closing fairly soon after but I also wanted to get home and shower and change there.  Like I say, I found it almost airless and claustrophobic at the start and it was not easy to hold some of the poses because my skin was so slick, including my feet!  There's a Moksha studio near me but I think I prefer it where I am.  Maybe if I had naturally straight hair, I'd like it more but when I got home, my natural waves had surfaced and it's not a look I like much.  But, like I said, I am going to give it another try - there's a hot intro class on Saturday and a hot fundamentals class on Monday and I've signed up for both of them. And I'm going to another of the "sweat, relax, restore" classes next Monday night.

Marsha
   Reply  Top
change & shower at home too  Actions...
Posted: by sueabc on Thu. 2 Aug., 2012 at 11:59:41 AM
In reply to: Marsha "Not me..."
I don't change at the studio either.  I meant, that in winter I can't very well walk home in just my hot-yoga clothes, whereas in summer I can!

Hot yoga is not for everyone, for sure.  I have friends who love yoga, but don't care for hot yoga.  I'm quite active, and find the heat works well for stretching, although as I say, I get a good work out.  Normally I don't like humidity, and in the summer I usually take advantage of doing outdoor activities early in the morning.  I do believe in a 'sweat workout' though, something athletes do if they're not feeling great - sweat it out!  I think it's good to try different things, some you like, some you don't, some you have to do a few times to really find out.

sueabc
   Reply  Top
...  Actions...
Posted: by Rockinkitty on Fri. 24 Aug., 2012 at 9:38:06 PM
In reply to: Marsha "I'm HOT, HOT, HOT (yoga, that is!)"
In the fall I bought a wagjag/groupon type deal for a pack of hot yoga classes...thinking all hot yoga was bikram yoga and not realizing that's not the case.  So the hot yoga class I tried was just a regular yoga class done in a hot room.  I liked the class well enough but was disappointed that I didn't research the deal enough before I bought it. 

This spring I bought a set of 10 bikram classes through the same type of deal.  I can't wait to try it out-though it looks like crow is one of the poses in the standard set...I love to try crow but I'm just not there yet.  :)

I hope there's a shower at the bikram place.  It's a fair ways across town and my body tends to give me shaking chills if I sit around in sweaty clothes for any length of time after a workout even in the heat of the summer. 

Glad you enjoyed it though!

Rockinkitty
   Reply  Top
  «   Page 1 of 1   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
Denotes unread or updated content since your last visit.
Denotes new content since your last visit.
font size »