home » community » discussion forums

COMMUNITY UPDATE: Please note that as of January 1, 2014 at 1 a.m. EST these forums will no longer be supported. We encourage you to start saving any of the content you would like to keep on your personal device(s). If you have questions regarding our decision to discontinue the forums please see our FAQ

food & recipes
The forum has been marked as read.
The topic has been marked as read.
  «   Page 1 of 1   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
fond childhood memories  Actions...
Posted: by Anne Hathaway on Fri. 29 Jun., 2012 at 9:45:21 AM

What summer fruit or vegetables invoke special childhood memories for you?   I know raspberries bring back such happy memories for me as my family would spend a day picking raspberries, cleaning them,  and then helping Mom make wonderful pies.   What great summer times we had and I swear my mother made the best pies.  We also had a large garden and while we did not enjoy all the weeding involved we sure loved the fresh yellow beans we harvested.

Anne Hathaway
   Reply  Top
Corn  Actions...
Posted: by Canandian_Content on Fri. 29 Jun., 2012 at 11:21:33 AM
In reply to: Anne Hathaway "fond childhood memories"

For my family it was always fresh corn on the cob.  I have many memories of picnics and meals that consisted of nothing but corn with lots of butter and salt.   I still have at least one "feed" per season of just fresh cotc for dinner.  Sometimes I'll add a sliced up beefsteak tomato just to make sure I've got my food groups covered.  Pig

Canandian_Content
   Reply  Top
Funny you should ask this...  Actions...
Posted: by TheCoho on Fri. 29 Jun., 2012 at 1:03:16 PM

I was thinking I should make a strawberry shortcake this weekend...the version we always had when I was growing up...

Just out of the oven baking powder biscuits split open and filled with fresh (local!) strawberries and covered with freshly whipped cream. It was a treat which you looked forward to in the first days of the summer vacation because later in the summer there would be no more strawberries.

And then...the tomatoes picked in the garden and the runner beans...they started out tender but too late in the season and they would get tough. My mum grew them up the front porch on strings so they would become a colourful screen too when they were in full flower.

Coho salmon are prized for their excellent fighting abilities and acrobatics

TheCoho
   Reply  Top
runner beans  Actions...
Posted: by Anne Hathaway on Fri. 29 Jun., 2012 at 2:37:43 PM
In reply to: TheCoho "Funny you should ask this..."

Coho...forgive my ignorance but what are runner beans?   Do you mean string beans?

I can relate to the tomatoes - beefsteak on toasted bread with bacon and mayo.

Anne Hathaway
   Reply  Top
Here's a link...  Actions...
Posted: by TheCoho on Fri. 29 Jun., 2012 at 4:47:05 PM
In reply to: Anne Hathaway "runner beans"

Runner beans . For a moment I thought maybe I was using the British term but this is a Canadian blog so runner bean is the right word. You can see the kind of thick blind they create once they are growing and maturing.

Coho salmon are prized for their excellent fighting abilities and acrobatics

TheCoho
   Reply  Top
it's all good  Actions...
Posted: by flowerpot on Fri. 29 Jun., 2012 at 8:31:16 PM
My mom planted a huge garden.  It fed a family of 7 for a year.  I remember picking vegetables by the wash tub full.  Picking peas especially comes to mind.  The whole family spent the morning picking peas, then we'd sit around in a circle on the lawn with those big tubs between us and shell all afternoon.  Mom would read a story aloud as we shelled.  It helped pass the afternoon and no one complained or was bored.  The cows stood by the fence waiting patiently as they got the shells and it was a real treat for them.

Then came saskatoon season.  Mom would pack a picnic lunch and we would all head off to the river and pick all morning, filling our pails time and time again.  Lunch by the river was the reward.  No wait, saskatoon pie the next day was!  It was all good.
Good memories.

flowerpot
   Reply  Top
Corn roasts  Actions...
Posted: by MsGinny on Fri. 29 Jun., 2012 at 8:34:02 PM

Why we called it a roast I am not sure as we usually boiled them... We'd have a huge pot on top of a fire and they'd all go in.  Every aunt and uncle and kid would be there and there were a lot of us! Kids go swimming or run around according to age, Uncles and older cousins at the horseshoe pitch, Aunts getthing things ready for dinner and gossipping. Younger ones with Granny sharing a cuddle.

In the fall I remember going apple picking at an orchard up the road. 

BTW I love yellow beans...

MsGinny
   Reply  Top
don't know if  Actions...
Posted: by Koda on Fri. 29 Jun., 2012 at 8:51:18 PM
this a fond memory, 

We moved when I was in grade 5, the backyard was totally filled with strawberry plants, by the time I was in grade 7 (last week of school) my parents had got it down to half the yard. Well, I got the mumps, my Mom was making me everything strawberry because there were just so many & I couldn't swallow anything else. Needless to say I did not eat strawberries for many years after that, in fact I think it's only been the last 10 years or so that I have liked them again. 

I can also remember driving all the way out to Chilliwack (long way when you're a kid) & filling up the trunk of the car with corn. I have no idea what my Mom did with all that corn, but she made me eat it on the porch. 
Attention is the rarest and purest form of generosity. — Simone Weil

Koda
   Reply  Top
blueberries  Actions...
Posted: by a.doll on Sat. 30 Jun., 2012 at 10:30:58 AM

Climbing into the mountains to pick blueberries!

Driving to the Okanagan every summer to visit Grama and Grampa and eating cherries by the handful until everything was stained with the juice!

Falling asleep to the sound of the sprinklers in the orchards.

When you feel in your gut what you are and then dynamically pursue it – don’t back down and don’t give up – then you’re going to mystify a lot of folks. ― Bob Dylan

The poster formerly known as plexy (stolen from Jack Johnson)  and before that known as sexyplexy (nickname just for fun!)  ;)

a.doll
   Reply  Top
We kids would be sent out  Actions...
Posted: by MsGinny on Sat. 30 Jun., 2012 at 1:21:17 PM
In reply to: a.doll "blueberries"

by mothers and aunt... go get some blueberries and I'll make a bangbelly.  Little did we realize they were getting rid of us so they could have some peace and quiet!! Laugh  But there were huge patches of berries not far and all you had to do was plunk yourself down and start picking.

Does anyone remember picking wild strawberries?? We'd comb the ditches for wild strawberries and it would take ages as they are about the size of blueberries. Once, when at my aunts I made a shortcake with wild strawberries made with butter from the cows and whipped cream from the milk that had been separated.  Can you say a slice of heaven??

MsGinny
   Reply  Top
bangbelly?  Actions...
Posted: by a.doll on Sat. 30 Jun., 2012 at 3:08:41 PM
In reply to: MsGinny "We kids would be sent out"

Is that something like grunt, buckle, pandowdy?

Do you have a recipe!  lol!  Cute name!

I know wild strawberries.  We would find them when we were hiking.  Never quite enough to satisfy though!

Wonderful, warm, summer memories!

When you feel in your gut what you are and then dynamically pursue it – don’t back down and don’t give up – then you’re going to mystify a lot of folks. ― Bob Dylan

The poster formerly known as plexy (stolen from Jack Johnson)  and before that known as sexyplexy (nickname just for fun!)  ;)

a.doll
   Reply  Top
OMG  Actions...
Posted: by flowerpot on Sat. 30 Jun., 2012 at 3:25:00 PM
In reply to: MsGinny "We kids would be sent out"
MY mouth is watering, I can taste the strawberries and fresh cream.  We have lots of wild strawberries growing in our lawn, but the berries are about half the size of a pea.  We wold have to work pretty hard to get enough for a decent taste let alone making a dessert.  I'll just get a ready picked pail of garden strawberries from the Hutterites and pig out on those.

flowerpot
   Reply  Top
.....  Actions...
Posted: by Jarita on Sat. 30 Jun., 2012 at 12:51:55 PM
It's corn that invokes fond childhood memories for me too.  I can remember get togethers & eating corn in the summer.  I don't think I could eat as much now as I did then... and I was a skinny little kid!

I also remember being sent outside to eat juicy & dripping watermellon with my brothers.  It tasted so good & we would try & see who could spit their seeds the farthest.

"Now and Then it is good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and just be happy."

Jarita
   Reply  Top
...  Actions...
Posted: by dreamer16 on Sat. 30 Jun., 2012 at 7:57:50 PM
picking wild blackberries along the fences (and elsewhere) near the woods each summer

"Why fit in when you were born to stand out?"  Dr. Seuss

"Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behaviour does."  (unknown)

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."  George S. Patton

The poster formerly known as Writer Mom (stolen from Prince)  

dreamer16
   Reply  Top
Berry Picking in Muskoka  Actions...
Posted: by tigsw_tigsw on Sun. 1 Jul., 2012 at 5:43:53 PM
hard work. My Aunt and a friend took us into an area we had never been before.A female squatter appeared with a rifle to get us out of HER raspberry patch. We were a long way from roads. The cranky lady got a lot of ready picked berries that day.

Corn roasts or boils. Also remember my cousins sitting in the garden eating fresh peas. I never liked them but may have been the only one on the earth who did not.

Presently, we love the zucchini...I have sons who actually bake the bread.
The boys and Dad raised several monster pumpkins and entered contests...great fun.

MUSKOKA IS THE NAME NOT THE MUSKOKAS

see facebook page 

If everyone walked on the right hand side when in a crowd you would not bump into each other.                               

█ ♥ █ C a n a d a

tigsw_tigsw
   Reply  Top
  «   Page 1 of 1   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
Denotes unread or updated content since your last visit.
Denotes new content since your last visit.
font size »