home » community » discussion forums

COMMUNITY UPDATE: Please note that as of January 1, 2014 at 1 a.m. EST these forums will no longer be supported. We encourage you to start saving any of the content you would like to keep on your personal device(s). If you have questions regarding our decision to discontinue the forums please see our FAQ

health
The forum has been marked as read.
The topic has been marked as read.
  «   Page 1 of 1   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
Home blood pressure monitor?  Actions...
Posted: by BirdGirl on Tue. 24 Jul., 2012 at 6:45:30 PM

For the first time in my life I have high blood pressure.  I'm considering buying a home monitor but I have no idea what to look for, which kind is best, what is a reasonable price to pay, should I look for one at Shopper's?  If anyone has any helpful hints, it would be much appreciated! 

No-one in the world needs a mink coat but a mink. ~Murray Banks

BirdGirl
   Reply  Top
Omron  Actions...
Posted: by MMV on Tue. 24 Jul., 2012 at 6:54:53 PM
In reply to: BirdGirl "Home blood pressure monitor?"
By far the best out there, recommended by my physician and the Heart and Stroke Foundation, and you can buy it at Shopper's. About $100, give or take.  I recommend the model which can be plugged in and can also run on batteries.

I never had high blood pressure until the last couple of years.  In fact my blood pressure was always on the lower end.  I've heard it may be related to menopause, if you happen to be in that age range.

Just wanted to mention that with a note from my physician my insurance totally covered the cost of my unit.

MMV
edited Tue. 24 Jul., 2012 @ 7:12:21 PM by MMV
edited Tue. 24 Jul., 2012 @ 7:19:49 PM by MMV
edited Thu. 26 Jul., 2012 @ 4:58:47 PM by MMV

Reply  Top
Yep.  Actions...
Posted: by BirdGirl on Tue. 24 Jul., 2012 at 7:46:33 PM
In reply to: MMV "Omron"

A few more months and it'll be one year since my last period, and they've been months apart for a few years now.  The sudden belly fat (everything used to go to my hips/thighs) seems to be a major factor in high blood pressure along with all sorts of other medical worries.  I'm trying to walk briskly for 30 minutes every day, only missing the occasional day.  I'm drinking less alcohol, trying to watch what I eat, but man, nothing comes easy!  Five years ago, doing what I'm doing now, I'd have lost 10 pounds just like that!

I've had two appointments to check my blood pressure and I have one more - if nothing's changed, my doctor is starting me on medication.  Not the end of the world, but I sure would like to control things with diet and exercise.

Thank you for the advice on the monitor.  A long-distance friend of mine said something about having one a while ago, but I couldn't recall any details.  I do remember her saying that when she mentioned it at a dinner party she was having, everyone (and they're all in their fifties) wanted to try it.  Yes, the days of wild parties are over when your friends are lining up to check their blood presssure for entertainment.     :-)

BirdGirl
   Reply  Top
is it this one?  Actions...
Posted: by green_sleeves on Thu. 26 Jul., 2012 at 3:47:58 PM
I checked London Drugs and their price is around $100 but the same model is a little more than half the cost though amazon.com.
I think I'll order it since it can be used for two people (unless the cuff doesn't fit a man's wrist?). My BP can get very high. On meds for this but it is nice to be able to keep a record to show the doctor. He wants me to bring in the ticker stub from the drug store monitors but sometimes that can be inconvenient.
Or I forget until we've left the store. Roll of the eyes
Edited because the price was in the USA site...not Canada.
Omron Bp652 7 Series Blood Pressure Wrist Unit

No need to explain: your friends don't require it and your enemies won't believe you anyway.Grin

green_sleeves
edited Thu. 26 Jul., 2012 @ 4:20:18 PM by green_sleeves

Reply  Top
Omron  Actions...
Posted: by crazycatlady58 on Wed. 10 Oct., 2012 at 9:44:19 AM

I am currently also looking for a HBP monitor. I spoke with my pharmasist and he suggested the LIFESOURCE one over the OMRON , saying LIFESOURCE was more reliable.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

crazycatlady58
   Reply  Top
I just bought  Actions...
Posted: by Freebird2 on Wed. 25 Jul., 2012 at 9:18:00 AM

the one they were selling at Costco. I assume I got a good product and price. I've had mine for about 2 years and it is still working fine. I got the wrist cuff type.

Edited. I just checked the brand of mine. It's an Omron. 

Freebird2
edited Wed. 25 Jul., 2012 @ 9:20:40 AM by Freebird2
edited Wed. 25 Jul., 2012 @ 6:44:16 PM by Freebird2

Reply  Top
My mom was getting high blood pressure readings every time  Actions...
Posted: by Rosetapestry on Wed. 25 Jul., 2012 at 9:50:01 AM
she went to the doctor so I bought her a machine at Costco. It works great and it's the Omron make as well.

She did notice that her blood pressure was low when she took it every day. Then on the days she would go to the doctor her blood pressure would sky rocket! The doctor called this " The white coat syndrome." and attributed it to getting slightly nervous when she sees a doctor. 

He also had her bring her machine in so they could compare the numbers when she was there with him in the office. They were the same, so the machine was working well. At this time he has not put her on any medications. Should her machine at home show her readings go up, I guess that will be a reason for meds or at least a talk about options. 

~*~Rosetapestry~*~

"Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life" (Melody Beattie)

Rosetapestry
   Reply  Top
White Coat Syndrome is pretty well recognized  Actions...
Posted: by Marsha on Wed. 25 Jul., 2012 at 9:53:31 AM
In reply to: Rosetapestry "My mom was getting high blood pressure readings every time"
and it's why they take your blood pressure 3 times (or more) at the doctor's office.  Time of day can also be a factor.

DH bought a blood pressure monitor a few years back and used to check his bp every day; he does so less often now that it's more under control. I'm pretty sure his was also an Omron.

Marsha
   Reply  Top
Like the other posters  Actions...
Posted: by usedtobekarenr on Wed. 25 Jul., 2012 at 3:45:56 PM

we bought at Omron (highest rated Consumer Reports) and it is a very good product. Make sure what you buy does 3 readings at a sitting.

usedtobekarenr
   Reply  Top
Omron.  Actions...
Posted: by BirdGirl on Wed. 25 Jul., 2012 at 8:51:36 PM
In reply to: usedtobekarenr "Like the other posters"

I was at Shopper's today and saw some Omron monitors, the only brand they had apart from their own Shopper's brand.  I wanted to check back here before making the purchase.  Looks like I'll go ahead with Omron, it's just a matter of choosing exactly which model. 

Good advice here, thank you all.

BirdGirl
   Reply  Top
//////////  Actions...
Posted: by sue_43 on Thu. 26 Jul., 2012 at 1:06:10 AM
In reply to: BirdGirl "Omron."
My son was using the wrist cuff for about 1 year & every time his dr took his BP it was high.  we just assumed it was white coat syndrome.   but just to be on the safe side i bought another one with an arm cuff.  turns out the original wrist cuff monitor was giving us a false reading.
we also make sure to do a reading when we r at the pharmacy.

i cant remember the name, but think its omron.

sue_43
   Reply  Top
Purchased mine  Actions...
Posted: by Simply_Trying on Thu. 26 Jul., 2012 at 9:47:03 AM

through Costco on line almost 5 years ago because of low blood pressure issue

What I like about it...It has 2 cuff sizes.  I have a bigger arm and DH has a skinny arm and since I bought this for myself, DH has High Blood Pressure and needs it monitored.

It has the 3 readings and also keeps track of your readings . Also will beep for irregular heart beat which would happen often for me but has not happened since I`ve had an angio performed last year.

I bought it at Costco on line because it was on sale and cheaper than the Shoppers one at the time.  It was also free delivery and was here in 2 days. (I would not have been able to make it to the Costco store )    I think that with tax it had cost me about $75 it was a very good sale. 

I noticed that latelly I get a Error message more often so I may have to replace it. It has been used quite a lot so I guess that would make sense.

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.
Henry David Thoreau

Simply_Trying
   Reply  Top
thoughts  Actions...
Posted: by ABmom99 on Thu. 26 Jul., 2012 at 11:53:07 AM

I'm not brand savvy --- but home monitors I'm thinking -

The machines you take your BP at various pharmacies are pretty accurate I'm told.  Unless your BP is wildly varying or you already have heart problems I'm really not sure you need to have a home monitor - (kind of in the vein you don't need really to step on the scale daily).  They do cost around $100 as others have said, so is it really a necessity to check frequently?

Above a couple posters mentioned 'white coat syndrome' - I've heard that shouldn't be dismissed as insignificant in recent months - as it does indicate how the person's BP can rise (to perhaps dangerous levels) under stress. Being at the dr's office isn't usually the only stress in one's life - so if person's BP raises due to doctor office stress - how much & frequently does it increase in numerous other stressful situations - ie work? traffic jam? a quarrel? normal day to day but very real stresses?   Normal daily routines may indicate a healthy BP especially in non-stressful time at home - but the stresses in our life can indicate a very different BP - and it is important to realise that our BP can vary quickly and frequently - not just at the dr's office. --- so, I would be wary of assuming or thinking my BP is fine because I get acceptable levels at home readings.... people don't take their monitor along with them while driving to work during rush hour, or attending their kid's hockey game or check their BP before flying or other possible stress/exciting times.   I think people should really perhaps regard their BP as a 'compromise' - between the high readings in a dr's office & a blend of various other readings at different times of day/other situations.

Definitely get your dr's advice on this... and of course keep as healthy a life you can - eating right, exercise, rest.  Sometimes regardless of doing the right things though, you may need medication - again with all the info from your doctor.

ABmom99
   Reply  Top
Wrist vs arm cuff monitor  Actions...
Posted: by Lexi on Sun. 14 Oct., 2012 at 10:00:57 PM
My doctor told me to replace my wrist monitor with one with the arm cuff because the arm type are more accurate. I have an Omron one as well and it seems to do a good job. I never thought of getting it covered by prescription, I'll have to remember that if I ever buy another one.

Lexi

Lexi
   Reply  Top
  «   Page 1 of 1   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
Denotes unread or updated content since your last visit.
Denotes new content since your last visit.
font size »